Saturday 17 October 2015

Miscarriage and Conception Challenges - Part 2

When A was around 2.5, we decided we were ready for our little family to grow. We picked what we thought was the “perfect” time to try to get pregnant, assuming that it would happen the first month we tried, as it had with the first two pregnancies. We tried…and tried…and tried. And then it wasn’t fun anymore.

I began furiously searching the internet, figuring there had to be a quick fix somewhere…something we weren’t thinking of. It happened twice before with us barely even thinking about it, so what the heck was going on?

Eventually, I began using ovulation tests to try to pinpoint the best times to try – and found out that some months I wasn’t even ovulating (which sure wasn’t helping in the baby-making department!).  Although it was frustrating, using the tests gave me some peace of mind – at the very least, I had a possible reason why we had not gotten pregnant yet…and also gave me a tool that could help better our odds.

Those months of trying to get pregnant really took a toll on me emotionally. Being the eternal optimist, I would get excited every month, thinking “This is the month!”, only to be let down again and again. I was frustrated, angry, sad and confused. But eventually – it did happen. And I couldn’t have been happier.


I have been trying to be a strong voice to women I know to share my story, to let women know that they are not alone. That it can happen. That it is normal to feel sad, angry, or embarrassed. I even became a part of First Response’s Conception Success Stories Campaign (and no, they are not paying me to write this…I just feel that strongly about sharing my story!). When they contacted me about becoming part of their campaign, I jumped at the chance.

If you are interested, you can check out my conception story with First Response here: http://firstresponsestories.ca/en/ and click down until you get to “Baby Girl” – little Miss L didn’t have a name yet, as I was 9 months pregnant when this was filmed.

One of my favourite moments of all time - When A came to meet his little sister for the first time

And so – for better or worse, that was my conception journey. And you want to know what? I ended up with two of the most amazing little beings in the world. Well worth all the heartache. I wouldn’t change it for a thing.

If you are struggling with getting pregnant and want to try First Response Digital Ovulation Tests, click here for a coupon: http://www.save.ca/firstresponse

Photo by Shannon Nicole Photography

If you are feeling brave and open, why not share your story? I would love to feature some other journeys to help women on all different paths feel a little more supported. If you are interested in sharing, please feel free to comment or shoot me an email!


No comments:

Post a Comment